Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Rest




As a family we take a Sabbath day it’s either Saturday or Sunday, but I've never really been one to rest. Honestly I find it quite difficult…I like to be moving and going and exploring.  With having three kids it’s really hard for me to find a little quiet time, it’s hard to find time to just rest.  But I've been learning that I must rest my body….also I have to teach the children that they must relax too.  You don’t really realize how important it is until you’re in a bad situation. Genesis 2:1-3 “So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation.

I got a cold last week Thursday and I never really took care of it. Sure, I did the usual vitamin C, chicken soup, took a little nap on Friday, but other than that life has been business as usual.  Well I went to the doctor yesterday after I left the gym, I was coughing up a storm during my workout and I felt a bit faint, which for me is not normal.  Anyhow, I ended up going to the urgent care clinic to get a checkup and turns out I have pneumonia. Pretty scary since I already have asthma; so I had to get an injection while I was there and was sent home with a variety of medicine and I was told to rest. I honestly was not prepared for that when I went to see the doctor I really thought I just had a cold. Matthew 11:28-30 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

But this taught me something; that even though I think I take pretty good care of myself with being mindful of my diet and exercise I also have to slooow down when my body tells me too. I think that it’s just as equally important as diet and exercise. With that being said I really do understand why we are told to keep the Sabbath day.  If God had to rest, well then we certainly have to as well. I know it’s super hard to turn down the birthday parties and say no to all the activities and such but it’s equally as important to keep up with your health and your sanity. Mark 6:31 “Come away by yourselves to a desolate place and rest a while.”

Last year I recently started to implement the Sabbath day into our weekly routine. The kids have activities about 4 days a week and of course when the school year is in session it’s much more demanding.  But I was noticing that they were getting wiped out, as was I by running them everywhere.  So I told them that on Sunday or Saturday is our rest day. We attend church on Wednesdays and Saturday evenings and we have home Bible study on Sundays…The kids like to watch Joel Osteen, so sometimes we just sit while having breakfast and watch him.  But I can’t tell you how wonderful it is to know that one day we don’t have to get out of  our jammies and we can just relax and enjoy one another’s company. Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Don’t forget our bodies and our minds are temples and it’s so refreshing to know that we are called to rest one day a week.  God knows what he’s talking about more than we can ever realize.  He knows that our bodies cannot go nonstop before illness takes over our bodies and even our minds (stress and depression) Resting your body does not make you lazy at all. It makes you rejuvenated and motivated for the week and it really gives you something to look forward to at the end of a long and busy week! Rest your body and Rest your mind and soul in Lord.  Exodus 20:8 "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.


No comments:

Post a Comment